Friday 31 December 2010

The happy list

My last post "Jais Aben Reflections" seemed to strike a chord and I've had many wonderful, supportive responses by email, phone, facebook and blog comment. There have been quite a few requests to see the list that I wrote. It is painfully egocentric and, in retrospect, probably rather boastful. However it did cheer me up and bring me back to the surface. 


Read it at your own risk.


Here's the list 



  • I'm still reasonably fit, healthy and active and normally enjoy a  positive, optimistic outlook on the world.
  •  Somehow, after the death of my wife nearly ten years ago, I managed to raise two sons who have grown into fine young men, both independent, sociable, compassionate, successful in their chosen careers and, I like to think, both still fond of their old man.
  • There are people in this world who love and care for me and who I love and care for in return.
  • In spite of the miles that separate us I have a strong and supportive family who I believe I could turn to should ever the need arise.
  • I have many friends who enrich my life, and a few that are true confidantes.
  • Have a reputation for telling really bad jokes - or maybe its telling good jokes badly? Have you heard The Wide Mouth Frog? or my personal favourite about the Faith Healer and the man with the speech impediment?
  • I have trekked in the Himalayas, been a crew member on the Tall Ships and sailed my own yacht around the Med all of which provided me with many happy memories and more than a few embarrassing incidents.
  • Am now deaf in one ear - which can have its advantages!
  • Have lived and worked as a volunteer aid worker on the edge of the Sahel and in the Highlands of Papua New Gunea. I speak bad Hausa and even worse Tok Pisin!
  • I've been fortunate to have work that continues to be demanding, enjoyable, fulfilling and has taken me to many wonderful places around the world - India, Bermuda, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Nigeria, USA, Hungary, Papua New Guinea, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, France - even delivered conference presentations in Paris in French (shudder!)
  • Have worked for some truly inspirational people and hope that maybe in some small way I may have inspired others.
  • Enjoyed living and working in the United States - running a manufacturing business in New Jersey
  • Was a Director of a Royal Society in my thirties and later in life I established a successful start up internet technology business
  • I have the benefit of a wide ranging, liberal education and gained a Masters Degree, have published two books, recorded two CDs and even had a rude letter about me printed in The Times!
  • Was made a Freeman of London for my work in the City.
  • Been adviser to HM Treasury, The Stock Exchange, Bank of England and the Corporation of Lloyds - amongst others.
  • Been a guest at Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Mansion House , Guildhall and the Palace of Westminster
  • I sang solo in St Paul's cathedral, won awards for my music, was once voted "Best male legs in tights" in the National Youth Theatre (obviously many years ago!), played Noah in "Noah", Macbeth in "Macbeth" and "Volpone" in Volpone - even directed my own production of Tom Stoppard's "After Magritte". Have been asked for my autograph at the stage door!!!
  • Have always been sporty - Captain of Rugby at my college, rowed first eight and even have friends who tolerate (enjoy?) my erratic tennis. Can handle a punt. Am an exceptionally bad skier with no real expectation of improvement (I once crashed into a blind skier & his guide!) and, although no longer quite as agile as I once was, I'm still a competent dinghy sailor.
  • Have "reinvented" myself professionally several times with successful changes in career.
  • I'm a good cook! ask my family and friends.
  • Still believe that its a great big exciting world and that there are many wonderful things yet to do.

2 comments:

  1. Nice promotion!!!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one Eric! Being true to yourself is not self-promotion at all. I admire you for being true. hope i can get hold of your book or listen to your CD, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete