Wednesday 24 November 2010

Internet Woes

In theory there are two ways in which I can access the internet here in PNG


Firstly I have a dial up connection with GlobalNet as the ISP. I haven't been able to make a connection to this service for about 11 days. Phone calls to GlobalNet have produced the information that there is nothing wrong with their access system - however they tell me there is a problem at the Mt Hagen telephone exchange and currently nobody in Hagen can connect to GlobalNet's internet service. PNG Telikom are aware of the problem and are apparently working on it - for 11 days! It may come back at some point but I'm not holding my breath.


My second option is a wireless modem (a dongle) provided by PNG Telikom. This entire network was out of service for almost a week and came back last Saturday. Its a pre pay service - you buy a prepaid card to the value of 50Kina , scratch to reveal the card number, phone 1255 and add the credit to your internet account. All well and good except that, although the broadband network has returned the 1255 top up service is not working! 


I can do lots of development work locally and the website can be built and tested, to a large extent, on my own PC but until we get a decent internet connection it can't be uploaded to the web. There is an internet cafe in Hagen, in the Telikom office. Apparently they have their own satellite connection so, even though its expensive, I may have to move my office over there for a while.


Or I could put it all on a DVD, send it over to England and let one of you guys put it on the web for me!


Obviously one of these internet options is now working otherwise I couldn't have posted this!

No comments:

Post a Comment