Saturday 3 July 2010

Eric is going away

When I was a young man (no jokes please!) I spent some time working with Voluntary Service Overseas in a small town called Geidam in the Sahel region of West Africa. It was a great experience.

A couple of years ago I went to India to take part in a VSO fund raising trek in the Himalayas, whilst there we met some of the VSO staff and volunteers working on Projects in India.

Having been bitten by the VSO bug once again I am off to Papua New Guinea in September to take up a volunteer post once more. My post is in Mt Hagen, capital of the remote Western Highlands Province, where I will be working with the Mt Hagen Handicrafts Group (MHHG). Now I'm not much good at making handicrafts but I do know my way round the internet and the project is to design & build a website so that MHHG can distribute its products to a wider market. MHHG is run by a group of women living with HIV and AIDS. As you can imagine they have a pretty tough life and their main concern is to put food on the table and to provide for their children.

So here I go!

My departure date is scheduled for 20 September (although subject to change!) and my project is all confirmed. Just need to sort out work permits, visas and immunisations.

I will be trying to raise some funds for this project before I go - so please don't ignore me!

No comments:

Post a Comment