Sunday 20 February 2011

Some days are harder than others

Let me start by saying that I enjoy being in Hagen. However there are times when I feel like I'm living in a benevolent open prison. I am released during the day and go off to work for 8 hours which is enjoyable and sociable (particularly when the mothers come in to weave the bilums). There are people to talk to, its interesting and fun. Then in the evenings I come back to the Baptist Union compound and lock myself in my cell and spend the next 16 hours in solitary confinement - I read (I've lost count of the number of books I've read), listen to music, cook, maybe watch a dvd on my pc, write to friends and do some Facebook. Sometimes I can borrow a guitar and play.

The security situation in Hagen is such that most people simply do not venture out after dark. Without a vehicle it would be plain stupid to risk such a thing and even with a vehicle I would never drive through Hagen at night on my own.

This means there is little or no social activity in the evenings. The exception is Friday night when my friends and neighbours, Ray & Trish Bartell, invite me over for pizza ( and very good pizzas they are too) and I play tennis with them for a couple of hours each Saturday.

Normally I cope pretty well on my own. Maybe its because I can see the finishing line (only four weeks left before I leave Hagen) but I am finding this isolation more difficult to cope with. Have not yet started talking to myself ( well no more than normal!) but I suspect its only a matter of time.

Think I would find it very difficult to do more than 6 months here on my own. Messages and emails from home are really important - so please keep writing!

4 comments:

  1. The Bartells read my blog and a few minutes later Ray turned up at my door with a guitar! Good people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, remember my fav Nietzsche quote. You will be all the more quiet within after this placement. Just think how you will appreciate Worcester! You will enjoy Sydney....... Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work Eric - when you return to the UK, and everything is 100mph you'll be missing the isolation!

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma- thanks for the Nietzsche quote. My two favourites from the old rascal:

    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

    And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.

    ReplyDelete